Saturday, January 24, 2015

Book Review: Empire of Shadows

TITLE: Empire of Shadows
Book 2 in Bhinian Empire series
AUTHOR: Miriam Forster
PUBLISHED: November 4rth, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Romance
PREMISE: A girl takes up a job guarding a noble woman which turns out to be more complicated then she bargained for.
MY REVIEW: Some of you may recall that I loved City of a Thousand Dolls last year (or was it the year before? I forget when I read it exactly). Definitely one of the many underrated YA fantasy books out there. So I was really looking forward to this one.
Now, I wasn't disappointed in it, persay. I do think this was still good. There was still fabulous writing, a great fantasy world, and interesting characters. It just...didn't interest me as much as City of a Thousand Dolls. I think part of that was this one focused way more on romance. While I don't believe romance is a bad thing, when you're focusing on that instead of far more interesting mystery plots...then I tend to get frustrated. Especially if your book is not even billed as a romance in the first place. Seriously, authors, if I want romance I'll pick up a romance novel. Don't promise me a fantasy book and then do twenty percent fantasy and eighty percent romance. That's false advertising. It's annoying. Stop it.
So...while this wasn't bad...I just didn't get into it as much as the first one.
WHO SHOULD READ: romantic fantasy fans, fans of City of a Thousand Dolls (though you don't have to read that to understand this book)
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five shapeshifters

No comments:

Post a Comment