Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'd Read With My Book Club If I Had a Book Club

This is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish

Okay so...I've never joined a book club. I've honestly just never had any interest in the idea. I'm also fairly certain I'd be a bad book club member. I love discussing books with people, don't get me wrong. But discussing just ONE book? Nah, can't do it. If I had a book club it'd probably be less, book of the month stuff and more, "okay what's everyone read? You first! Don't be shy!" Because I love knowing what everyone reads and get some of my best book recommendations by just spying on everyone's currently reading lists. But from what I hear, mostly book clubs do one book per month and just discuss that. Which, if that's your thing. Great. Me...I wouldn't be very helpful because I'd want to go from that one book to this other book that's kind of related, to that author's whole backlist. I'd be a derailing of the discussion kind of member for sure. So it's in everyone's best interest that I just don't join.

So this is less focused on a specific kind of book. I'm just putting books on here that would probably generate lots of discussion which I hear is what book clubs want.

1) The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Why: I literally just finished this one yesterday (I'm slow like that, another reason I'd not be a good book club member, I want to read books on my own terms and not based on when the club decides to get to it). It's tailor made for discussion. It goes into: racism, class privilege, the disadvantages of living on reservations, white savior mentality, bullying, and just so much more.





2) The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Why: First, I'd advise to just go ahead and do the whole trilogy. It is absolutely possible to read these three in a month. Things you can talk about: lack of empathy in the entertainment industry, class privileges, tyranny, propaganda during a wartime.

3) Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Why: Can generate discussions about the 1960s Nigerian civil war, can talk about colonization, racism, how you can be racist without even meaning to be, how war effects all, how revolutions are not always black and white.







4) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Why: Can generate discussions about talk of WWII, found families, how things weren't exactly black and white in Germany regarding the Nazis, book censorship, love of reading and how it brings people together.
Also when you run out of things to talk about, you just pop in the movie and watch it together and do the time honored tradition of book versus movie.





5) Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

Why: This could generate SO much discussion about feminism. You can go from what it means to be feminist (and hopefully correct any wrong assumptions people have about it in your group, because I guarantee that there is at least ONE person thinks feminism is about hating men), to how to enjoy problematic entertainment but not be blind to its faults.





6) The Handmaid's Tale by Margeret Atwood

Why: Honestly, just any Margeret Atwood book will do well for book club. Heck, be ambitious and just tell people to pick at least two Atwood books and you can have a discussion about ALL of them.







7) I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Why: Like Atwood, I would just do any Maya Angelou book.









8) His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

Why: It's just good damn it. Like Hunger Games, I would just do the whole trilogy at once.



9) American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Why: Again, any Neil Gaiman book is interesting and going to generate lots of discussion. This one is probably your best bet though.








10) Anything John Green

Why: He's just one of those authors who puts a lot of topics in his books.







No comments:

Post a Comment