Monday, January 5, 2015

Book Review: The Young Elites

TITLE: The Young Elites
Book 1 in a new Trilogy
AUTHOR: Marie Lu
PUBLISHED: October 7th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: In a world that despises her kind, a young girl with powers gets taken in by a rebel group.
MY REVIEW: I admit, it took me awhile to fall hard for Legend. I actually didn't really get into it until the second book when it became clear that Lu was not going to be following the typical YA dystopian formula. It became more then Hunger Games version 2. million. This trilogy however, I love right off the bat.
The setting is great. There's lots of world building, complicated characters, and nothing is black and white. The main character herself is not easy to like and I personally love that. I'm of the firm opinion that a character does not have to be likable to be a good character (this is especially true for female characters who seem to get disliked no matter how likable they are). Adelina is a damn good character. Honestly, all of the characters are. I do wish some of the side characters in the Young Elites group got a little more development (the guy who seemed to hate her for no particular reason right off the bat for instance) but that's a minor issue I have with an otherwise very well done and plot twist, page-turning book.
It's not often a YA book series manages to surprise me with where it goes, and this one surprised me. Pleasantly so. I can't wait to see what happens next.
WHO SHOULD READ: Legend trilogy fans, Tamora Pierce fans, X-Men fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five shady politicians

No comments:

Post a Comment