Thursday, January 29, 2015

Book Review: This Shattered World

TITLE: This Shattered World
Book 2 in the These Broken Stars
AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner
PUBLISHED: December 23rd, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-fi, Romance
PREMISE: In the same universe as These Broken Stars, a rebel and a commander of the army he opposes fall in love...
MY REVIEW: Sigh. This is yet another sequel that I didn't love as much as the first. I hate it when that happens. Again, I don't think there was any drop in quality or anything. This...just wasn't what I was expecting.
I guess I was expecting the story from the previous book to continue because I had a lot of unanswered questions. Instead, we get entirely new characters and entirely new problems. While this did add to the world-building a bit, I was left wondering why we got these two and not a continuation of the story I expected.
This one did still have interesting characters and a good romance. There were also some interesting world things as with the last one. So it's not a total wash. If you were a fan of the first one and don't mind new characters, you'll be pleased. It just...wasn't what I expected.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of These Broken Stars, Romance fans, Space Opera fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five romeo and juliets in space

No comments:

Post a Comment