Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: My Top Ten Bookish Confessions

This is a weekly meme hosted by the gals over at The Broke and the Bookish.

My Top Ten Bookish Confessions

1) I know my library card number by heart. I use the library reserve system basically all the time and the reserve system online requires you to put in your number every time you reserve a book so really it's my library's fault.

2) The librarians have gotten so used to me reserving a big batch of books every two seeks that they just put my books on the bottom shelf in a basket for me.

3) I hate the New York Times (and others) Bestseller List. Well, hate may be a strong word. But I strongly dislike how it makes mediocre and bad books popular, and how lazy book readers (ie people who don't actually read books all that often) use it to judge whether or not a book is worth it. If I had a dime for every casual reader who used the "well it's on the bestseller list so it must be good!" aruguement on me, I'd be a very rich girl. On the other hand, sometimes it does every so often point the way to decent books. So it's sort of a neccessary evil I guess for me. I dislike it, but at the same time it can sort of help.

4) I don't think I've ever liked or have been interested in a Oprah Winfrey book. I have read and liked The Color Purple but that was for class. I probably would have never been interested in it otherwise. Oprah's taste and mine just do not mesh at all.

5) I have never read The Perks of Being a Wallflower. In my defense I plan on fixing this problem very soon so I can go see the movie. I have a rule where I don't see a book adaptation unless I've read said book.

6) I am a Nerdfighter...who has never read John Green. I know, I know, I suck. I have been to Green's nerdfighter sight and I read his blog and I think Green is a very awesome guy. I've just never gotten around to picking up his stuff. Again, I plan on fixing that sometime this year. Probably will be reading The Fault in Our Stars soon.

7) I don't hate Hush Hush as much as I know I should. To be clear, I don't think the books are fabulous. Patch/Nora is HUGE problamatic relationship, it's definitely cliche, and the writing is gag worthy sometimes. But...I get why people like it and I will be reading the Finale. I don't buy the books though because I refuse to support authors who have problamatic relationships like this in their books.

8) I read Twilight fanfiction. Mostly of the Leah variety. I tend to stay away from the Bella/Edward fics unless said fic has Bella becoming badass and dumping Edward's butt. What can I say? Twilight is one of the rare cases where I honestly think a large part of the fanfic writers are more talented then the writer of the original book.

9) I don't think Wuthering Heights is a romance novel and it irritates me to no end how people constantly call it one. WH is a gothic novel. That happens to have a romatic subplot. If one can call Catherine and Heathcliff's obsession with each other romantic. I particularly don't think it's romantic but I'm apparently in the minority.

10) I have had the Sabriel Trilogy on my bookshelf because it was given to me as a gift for about two years now but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I should get on that....

No comments:

Post a Comment