Monday, August 13, 2012

Book Review: Spying in High Heels

TITLE: Spying in High Heels
Book 1 in the High Heels mystery series
AUTHOR: Gemma Halliday
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Mystery, romantic comedy
PREMISE: Maddie has been living the high fashionista life but then discovers her boyfriend is in deep trouble and is not at all what he appears to be.
MY REVIEW: I was kind of expecting to like this more to be honest. I got a big kick out of Halliday's new YA series and when I saw this as a freebie I figured what the heck. Unfortunately this is no where near as charming as her YA series.
It's not bad or anything. If you're looking for a light cozy mystery series, this fits the bill. Unfortunately whereas the heroine in her YA series made me grin and actually had some brains, Maddie just made me want to bang my head against the wall with how dumb she was. It wasn't even a charming dumb like I think the author was going for, it was more of a "Are you serious? Are you sure this woman is a adult?" kind of dumb. Look, I don't expect all heroines to be Lisbeth Salander but for christ sakes, Maddie didn't even get that her boyfriend was a sleaze when it was pretty damn obvious after one conversation that was slimy. Then even after proof against him, she kept thinking up ways that he wasn't as bad as he seemed. UGH. I get she had circumstances but that just seriously annoyed me.
The mystery itself was...okay. Kind of obvious and anti-climatic really. I think this was written for more of the chick-lit crowd. I have nothing against chick-lit (I read Meg Cabot for crying out loud) but chick-lit can still have main characters who aren't ditzes. There were a few funny moments here and there but honestly, this book didn't really thrill me.
WHO SHOULD READ: Chick-lit fans.
MY RATING: Three out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment