Monday, August 20, 2012

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

TITLE: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Ransom Riggs
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, mystery
PREMISE: A boy investigates whether the stories about monsters that his grandfather told him are true.
MY REVIEW: When this came out, everyone and their mother was recomending it right and left. It got a movie deal, Entertainment Weekly was boasting about it, it was everywhere. Honestly though? I think it's pretty average paranormal du jour. Doesn't mean it's horrible. It's actually quite entertaining. But it does mean that I'm sort of scratching my head over why this became such a huge thing when there are tons of similar books like it out there. Really the only unique thing in here are the interesting photagraphs that go along with the story and the way the author tells the story.
But hey, like I said, it's entertaining. Granted the main character was kind of a priviledged whiny character for my taste but everyone else was interesting. I loved the idea of Miss Peregrine's school (even if it's slightly ripped off of X-Men) and the gifts were actually interesting. The heart of the story is also sweet and relateable even if it's not overly complicated. Writing wise...it's okay. I think the authors main strong suit is story-telling because there was a awful lot of telling instead of showing.
All in all you can definitely do worse then Miss Peregrine and I agree it's entertaining. I just don't understand why this was worthy of so much hype but then the hype machine and I have never seen eye to eye so there you go.
WHO SHOULD READ: boys, those who don't read much paranormal, X-Men fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five wtf photographs

No comments:

Post a Comment