Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Book Review: Ripple

TITLE: Ripple
AUTHOR: Mandy Hubbard
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mermaids, romance
PREMISE: Lexi has a dangerous secret that she is trying to keep under wraps so she doesn't hurt anyone again. Then a boy shows up at her lake..
MY REVIEW: You know what mermaid books? I'm done with you. Clearly this genre and me aren't meant to be because in all the mermaid books I've yet to have found one I've really liked. Most I'm indifferent too, the rest tend to annoy me to death with how juvenile they come accross as.
This one is no exception to the juvenile tone rule of mermaid books. Wow, could Lexi whine and angst with the best of them. Literally most of what I remember about this book was her constant emo attitude that made me groan so much that I couldn't enjoy the mildly interesting take on sirens. And really the only interesting thing in this book was the way the author went about sirens. The rest was pretty much boring boring BORING melodrama about characters I didn't even like.
The writing was passable but honestly this was just way too juvinile for my taste and I think even tweens would be bored to death with this. I still don't know what the point of it was. But it has made me realize that I just need to give up on mermaid books. Until someone writes a mermaid book that isn't aimed at the Disney Channel crowd or something then I just don't think these kinds of books are for me.
WHO SHOULD READ: Younger tweens who don't mind whining
MY RATING: Two out of Five yawns

No comments:

Post a Comment