Saturday, August 18, 2012

Book Review: Devilish

TITLE: Devilish
AUTHOR: Maureen Johnson
PUBLISHED: 2006
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, drama
PREMISE: Jane's best friend starts to change over night and she learns that her friend may have made a deal with a demon...
MY REVIEW: This is not one of Maureen's more well known books. I'm not even sure if people know it exists. I myself just picked it up in the library on a whim because I'm trying to read all of Johnson's stuff as she's really grown on me. I do see why it's not as popular as her usual stuff. It drags sometimes, the characters have their annoying moments, and the ending is a bit, what?
But I liked it. Jane is fun and sort of complicated and she's flawed. But I get where she's coming from. In a world full of whiny teenagers, she's refreshing. She bitches, but she doesn't play the woe is me my life is so horrible card that authors have their characters do nowadays (and which I find vastly annoying). It was nice seeing a plot about female friendship for a change and not centered around "who should I date?" or even saving the world. This wasn't your typical paranormal book.
That said, for every person that enjoys it there will be one that doesn't get it and that's understandable. It took me awhile to warm up to the book if I'm honest. Personally I felt the ending was rather unconclusive and left things wide open for a sequel (hint, hint, Johnson but only after you do your Name of the Star series).
WHO SHOULD READ: Maureen Johnson fans, Meg Cabot fans, paranormal fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment