Monday, August 28, 2017

Book Review: Strange the Dreamer

TITLE: Strange the Dreamer
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Laini Taylor
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: March 28th, 2017
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A librarian joins a quest to find a mysterious town called Weep...
MY REVIEW: I confess I'm not terribly sure how to go about reviewing this book. I can tell you for sure: I loved it. It's the best kind of absorbing fantasy. But it's rather unlike anything I've read so I can't really do my usual "if you like this and this, definitely pick it up" thing. All I can say for sure is, if you liked Taylor's Daughter of the Smoke and Bone trilogy, you'll love this.
The writing is beautiful. The characters are all interesting and the plot and setting are all very unusual. I will warn: it's very slow to start. I promise, the payoff is worth it.
This is one of my favorite books that I read this year. I admit, I had high expectations because I adored the first trilogy Taylor did. But, Taylor met all the expectations. Again, this is an unusual book, so I imagine it's not one that would be to everyone's taste, but it was to mine. I can't wait to read the next book. About the only issue with this I have is...I think it should be marketed and sold as adult fiction instead of YA, as a majority of the plot centers on Lazlo, who is an adult and it has adult themes. But I'm not in charge of these things, so what can you do?
WHO SHOULD READ: Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five unusual fantasy books

No comments:

Post a Comment