Thursday, August 10, 2017

Book Review: Norse Mythology

TITLE: Norse Mythology
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
PUBLISHED: February 7th, 2017
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction/Retellings....I think
GENRE: Mythology
PREMISE: Neil Gaiman retells the Norse Myths in his own way.
MY REVIEW: Full disclosure: I know nothing about Norse Mythology. My knowledge of it comes from Thor comics/movies and the Gods of Asgard series Riordan is doing. So yeah...I'm really not the best one to tell you if these are accurate retellings or not.
I can however tell you: they are delightful retellings. From what I've heard from people who know better, Gaiman basically did stick mostly to the original tales. He just added his blend of humor to them. Such as the one where he basically concluded everything is Loki's fault (this is totally true tbh, in the tales and in the Thor comics!).
I enjoyed these a lot. Again, I'm probably the last one to ask if these are good takes on the Norse Myths. But if you know a little about the myths and enjoy retellings, you might get a kick out of Gaiman's take on them.
WHO SHOULD READ: Neil Gaiman fans, Mythology fans, The Gods of Asgard series fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five Lokis causing mayhem

No comments:

Post a Comment