Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Book Review: The Winter People

TITLE: The Winter People
AUTHOR: Jennifer McMahon
PUBLISHED: February 11th, 2014
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Historical Fiction? Paranormal? Damned if I know
PREMISE: In a town with dark secrets, a diary may hold the key to stop history from repeating itself.
MY REVIEW: I...don't know what to make of this book, to be honest. To be fair to the author, that is entirely me. Sometimes a book is perfectly fine and it just doesn't mesh with the reader for whatever reason. I think that was what was happening here.
I liked the atmosphere of the novel. It's very American Gothic and creepy and I love that stuff. The switching timelines would occasionally confuse me though. I just honestly didn't really connect with this one. Like I said, I feel like that's entirely on me, not the author. It's just not my usual type of book and honestly Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor has been sitting on my shelf beckoning me. I'm not saying it's another book's fault that I couldn't get into get into this book...but it had a hand in it.
So, I don't think it's a bad book persay. It's just one of those books that didn't jive well with me. But I can see others getting into it. Like fans of Stephan King, or those who like creepy historical fiction books.
WHO SHOULD READ: Stephan King fans maybe?
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five creepy little girls (what is it with horror and children?)

No comments:

Post a Comment