Friday, September 19, 2014

Book Review: The Girls at the Kingfisher Club

TITLE: The Girls at the Kingfisher Club
AUTHOR: Genevieve Valentine
PUBLISHED: June 3rd, 2014
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Retelling
PREMISE: Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses but set in the 1930s...
MY REVIEW: I think I first heard about this one through Entertainment Weekly of all places in one of their random short reviews (highly recommend browsing through their reviews daily. Occasionally, you'll find some gems). I'm so glad I gave it a shot, because I really liked this one.
Not that I'm surprised I did. I mean, retelling set in the 1930s? That pretty much guarantees that I'll read it. I will admit, the storytelling style may not be up everyone's alley. The author tends to jump around a LOT. But I did actually rather like the writing style. It suits fairy tales. You got a clear idea of what was going on, the setting was engrossing, and each of the sisters had a clear cut personality that made me root for them.
I didn't like this one as much as my favorite version of Twelve Dancing Princesses (Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George), but it was still a very enjoyable retelling. I look forward to reading more of this author, who apparently has a YA book in the works coming next year.
WHO SHOULD READ: Retelling fans, Once Upon a Time fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five dancing shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment