Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review: Sinner

TITLE: Sinner
Book 4 in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series
AUTHOR: Maggie Stiefvater
PUBLISHED: July 1rst, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Werewolves
PREMISE: Isabel and Cole continue their messy romance in LA.
MY REVIEW: I have...mixed feelings about this one. For one, remember how this series used to be about werewolves? It pretty much isn't anymore. It's strictly romance and I'm sorry, but I pick up werewolf books expecting the werewolf factor to be a relevant thing. Here, it's just a thing that Cole has that maybe is a bit of an inconvenience, but otherwise it's completely ignored.
But if you're picking this up for the romance factor, you're golden. It's all about Isabel and Cole and their messed up relationship where I kind of wish Isabel would tell Cole where to go with his self pity act. But I guess I'm just not a romantic that way. If you are a romantic, this book will please you. If you were hoping for character development or some major reveal...this book will be very dull for you like it was for me.
So I'm torn. On one hand, Steifvater clearly did this for Cole/Isabel fans. For sure, those fans will probably be very pleased with it. It ends happily. But...it's not exactly a ground-breaking book or even one that was entirely necessary. It honestly felt like a bit of an afterthought book to me that could have been done in one of those fifty/one-hundred page novellas that authors do so much of nowadays. I honestly think, it should have been a novella. But that's just me. So...this book isn't really a must read to me. If you're a die-hard Mercy Falls fan, go for it. Otherwise...don't bother.
WHO SHOULD READ: Wolves of Mercy Falls fans (who really liked Isabel and Cole)
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five indifferent feels

No comments:

Post a Comment