Friday, September 5, 2014

Book Review: Strange and Ever After

TITLE: Strange and Ever After
Book 3 in the Something Strange and Deadly Trilogy
AUTHOR: Susan Dennard
PUBLISHED: July 22nd, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Steampunk, Zombies
PREMISE: Eleanor, Daniel and co. face off one last time against Marcus...
MY REVIEW: It's not often that I can honestly say I enjoyed a trilogy the whole way through. Either the second book was slow, or the ending was predictable as all get out. But this trilogy, I honestly can say, I've loved the whole ride. In fact, I think it's one of the few that got better as it went along.
One of the main reasons for that is, that it doesn't try to fill in time by focusing on too many characters at once or giving a boring love triangle when one isn't needed. Those two things are pretty much the downfall of most YA series. This series focuses on Eleanor and her character journey. That's it. It makes for a very satisfying read because you get to see her grow and become stronger and more settled into herself. Yes, along the way, she gets a love interest. But it's pretty incidental and not the whole damn point of the story. Also...there's a twist with Daniel that I honestly didn't see coming and was pleasantly surprised by. It was sad, but it was nice to see a YA trilogy be realistic about things for a change.
This is one of my personal favorite underrated books. I highly recommend the whole trilogy, especially if you're into the historical fantasy scene. I seriously can't wait for whatever Dennard has in store for us next. Word on the street is, she already has a new series coming out next year. Bring it on, is all I can say.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of the first two books, Dearly Departed fans, zombie fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five satisfying endings
RATING FOR TRILOGY: Four and a half out of Five really good trilogy

No comments:

Post a Comment