Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Book Review: Dark Metropolis

TITLE: Dark Metropolis
Dark Metropolis Book 1
AUTHOR: Jaclyn Dolamore
PUBLISHED: June 17th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: In a 1930s full of magic, Thea's friend disappears and she is drawn into a dangerous plot...
MY REVIEW: I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I really like Dolamore's stuff. This is an author with imagination when it comes to ideas. Romance wise...she's not always the best. But world-building, plot wise? Sign me the hell up. What's even better is all her books are different. Granted, this one did remind me a lot of the first Magic Under Glass book.
But it still developed into something different that I wasn't expecting. I love this 1930s magic world. It's vivid and creative. I could picture everything easily. Like most of her books, Dolamore's characters aren't black and white either. They aren't the best people in the world. In some cases, they're blind to the world around them (like Freddie) and sometimes they're selfish. They're flawed characters and interesting.
I will say, the ending was a bit rushed. But it led up to a satisfying lead in to the next book. I really wish more people would give Dolamore a chance. Oh well. I'll just be over here, fangirling by myself.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dolamore fans, Historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five art deco restaurants

No comments:

Post a Comment