Saturday, September 27, 2014

Book Review: Midnight Riot

TITLE: Midnight Riot
Book 1 in the Peter Grant series
AUTHOR: Ben Aaronovitch
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A police detective discovers there's a hidden magic world all around him and joins a group dedicated to keeping it under control.
MY REVIEW: This book was part of my reading through the library project and is exactly why I started this project in the first place. Despite all my wanderings in the UF section (you all know, you've seen the reviews) I'd never heard of this author/series until I found the series on the first shelf in the fiction section. So had I never started this, I would likely never have read this, which would be a shame because I loved it quite a bit.
The writing is hilarious for one. It has that dry wit that a majority of UK based authors seem to possess (will NEVER understand the stereotype of Brits being serious. Have you seen their shows on BBC?). The main character is likable and it's fun exploring this new world with him. The mystery is a bit average but with a good twist at the end.
This was a fun read. I'm definitely picking up the rest of the books. I'll spare you reviewing them one by one and do a full series review when I catch up to the most recent.
WHO SHOULD READ: Adult Harry Potter fans, Doctor Who fans (the author actually penned some classic Who episodes apparently), Urban Fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five sarcastic cops

No comments:

Post a Comment