Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesdays: Top Ten Books to get you into Halloween

This is a weekly meme hosted by the girls at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week: Top Ten Books to get you into the Halloween Spirit

Well, I don't know about anyone else but me, in October I crave spooky/creepy books. Granted I tend to do this year around because I'm a big fan of the paranormal stuff, but in October it gets worse. So here are my spine-tingling picks for Halloween:

1) Dracula by Bram Stoker-Long before there were sparkly vampires who made vampires into a popular love interest trope, vampires actually used to be scary respectable creatures of the night. This book is why.

2) Frankenstein by Mary Shelley-Every time some literature snob says women can't write horror I point to this book.

3) The Shining by Stephan King-Well, pretty much all King's early stuff will work for Halloween. The guy is king of horror for a reason but The Shining is the most freaky of them all.

4) Anna Dressed in Blood/Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake-Ghosts are my favorite supernatural creature and Blake took the ghost genre and turned it on it's head in a fabulous way. I'm currently reading Girl of Nightmares and it is just as good as book one.

5) Coroline by Neil Gaiman-Fabulously spooky story about a girl saving her parents from a monster who steals children. Highly rec the movie as well which follows the book rather well considering things.

6) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman-Yes, another Gaiman book. This man writes fabulous ghost stories, what can I say? This one is about a boy who is raised in a graveyard by ghosts.

7) Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margeret Stohl-You can't have a Halloween list without some witches (they are my second favorite after ghosts). This series isn't totally scary persay but some of the imagery in it is haunting and a big part of it takes place on Halloween. Plus, Gaitlin is like the perfect setting for Halloween. Incidently book four comes out today. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

8) The Fear Street series by R. L. Stine-If you haven't at least heard of R. L. Stine then you had no childhood. Fear Street was my crack when I was in middle school. Pretty much any of the books will do (if you can find them, I don't think they're published much nowadays, the only place I've seen them is used bookstores and libraries). My favorite is probably the The Fear Street Saga which chronicles the Fear family and tells about why Fear Street is so cursed.

9) The Mediator series by Meg Cabot-Yes, more ghosts. This series chronicles Suze, a girl who sees ghosts. And it is a big pain in the behind for her. Good if you liked to be spooked but not too much. Plus it's got some hilarious stuff, for instance Suze's mentor is a old priest in charge of her high school who also sees ghosts. Needless to say, they have differing ideas on the ghost thing.

10) The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong-Okay, this is a bit of a stretch but I feel it's got some spooky parts in it so it totally counts in my book. The main charactor is a necromancer who sees and can summon ghosts to her. There's some really freaky parts in it because of this gift.

1 comment: