Friday, October 5, 2012

Book Review: Soulbound

TITLE: Souldbound
Book 1 in the Legacy of Tril series
AUTHOR: Heather Brewer
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy...I guess? Fantasy?
PREMISE: A girl who discovers she's a Healer who aren't taught how to fight decides to take matters into her own hands.
MY REVIEW: Here's the thing, I liked the general message of this book. Girl saying hell no to a stupid authority rule that is dangerous and fighting against the system? Hell yeah, I'm all over that stuff. There's a reason I love the Tortall series so much after all. For that I give Brewer a huge thumbs up. She's right: there needs to be more kick-ass girls in YA. However, I guess you could say I just didn't care for her execution of this idea.
Mostly this suffers from what I call tropesville. Practically everything in here has a feeling of deja vu and I feel like I've read this story a million times before and in much better ways. That would be fine if the characters were in some way interesting but...they aren't. Kaya kind of annoyed me, and I was done with Trayton the minute he was all "no, no, no, you can't fight! That's absurd! How dare you try to take care of yourself!"Plus the world building makes utterly no sense to me. I question the urban fantasy thing because I honestly have no clue if this is a total fantasy world or a world like Harry Potter where it's in our world, but this stuff is going on and we don't know it. That's....a problem. Plus the soulbonds vastly annoy me. God authors, enough with the mystical soulmate stuff already. Especiallly problamatic soulmate stuff like this one.
On one hand this is entertaining as hell. I like the message of the book. But on the other hand...the writing and plot is very poor. I say this one is a library read only.
WHO SHOULD READ: Vladimir Tod fans, those wanting a kick-ass heroine and don't mind sloppy sloppy SLOPPY world building
MY RATING: Three out of Five swords



No comments:

Post a Comment