Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Older Books

This is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish .

This week: Top Ten Older Books You Don't Want People to Forget About

I am defining older books as books/book series that started five years or longer ago if anyone is curious about the criteria.

1) Harry Potter series by JK Rowing. Well, with the movies it's doubtful this series will ever be forgotten but I'm putting it on here anyway. Harry Potter has done so much for reading as well as childrens/YA and I do actually feel it'll be one of those timeless series that will be handed down the generations.

2) The Tortall series/Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce-Technically this is cheating because they're two series but they're written by the same author and are both wonderful series I wish every fantasy fan would read. At the very least everyone should pick up Sandry's book and Alanna: the First Adventure. These books are what got me into reading the fantasy genre during middle-school. The books are still ongoing and still just as solid as when they started.

3) The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede-Why more people don't know about this wonderful series about Cimmorone, a princess who LIKES dragons and doesn't want to be rescued thank you very much, I do not know.

4) The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle-One of the best adult fairytales out there. You probably know the movie better and while I like the movie just fine (it actually follows the book fairly well despite the unneeded addition of musical songs) it doesn't hold a candle to the book.

5) The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot-Please ignore the Disney movies which are nothing like the series. The PD books are fabulous character books and hilarious to boot. I don't enjoy contemporary novels as a rule and Cabot is one of those who made me give contemporary YA a chance.

6) Beauty by Robin McKinley-Still one of the best fairy tale retellings out there and one I tend to judge all fairy tale retellings by.

7) His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillup Pullman-A trilogy I wish more people would give a chance. Damn movie that screwed it up. Damn church making people afraid of it.

8) The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane-One of those series that very few people seem to know about which is a darn shame. It's a fabulous blend of fantasy/sci-fi and was another one of those series that got me into reading during my middle-school years.
\
9) The Diary of Anne Frank-Read even if you don't read non-fiction or aren't a history buff or whatever excuse you've come up with. Everyone should read this at least once.

10) The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi-One of my favorite books growing up about a girl who goes on a overseas voyage and gets caught up in a mutiny and becomes a sailor.

Honorable mentions I considered but didn't make the cut for reasons (mostly: not as good, or very little chance of being forgotten): Animorphs series, Baby-Sitters Club series, Nancy Drew series, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Artemis Fowl series, Lord of the Rings series, Where the Sidewalk Ends, all the classics, To Kill a Mockingbird, American Gods, Stardust, The Giving Tree, Where the Wild Things Are, all Judy Blume books, Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and The Princess Bride

4 comments:

  1. Everyone says the Harry Potter series is great. I think I maybe the only one that has not read them.

    I wished I had thought of The Diary of Anne Frank. It was a very great read.

    New Follower

    Nancy @ The Avid Reader

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3, #6, #8, #10 - great choices! Pretty much you win with this list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamora Pierce! She's on my list, too! What did you think of Mastiff? Did you get a little teary? Also completely agree on Beauty. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Beauty. Great retelling.

    ReplyDelete