Saturday, October 6, 2012

Book Review: Spellbound

TITLE: Spell Bound
Book 3 in the Hex Hall Trilogy
AUTHOR: Rachel Hawkins
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy, adventure
PREMISE: Sophie and co. deal with a takeover by the headmistresses of Hex Hall.
MY REVIEW: It's always sad when a fun trilogy like this one comes to an end. But if it must at least it's done in satisfying ways like this particular trilogy. True, I am a little upset about the Cal thing (but as it opened the doors for Cal/Elodie... so.I'm over it) and one or two things were predictable (the ending of the love triangle for instance. Much as I was rooting for Cal I knew it was going to be Archer. At least Archer isn't a douche so I guess it's an improvement) but as a whole this was a good ending and a great lead in for the spin-off series that Hawkins is apparently planning.
Most satisfying is seeing Sophie just growing up and getting stuff done. Sophie's journey has been a fun and fullfilling one and as I've said one of my main wishes for trilogies/long book series is for characters to have growth. It doesn't even have to be huge growth just as long as they're at least a LITTLE different from when they were introduced in book 1. Sophie is different but she's also still got all the qualities that made me love her in book 1.
All in all this was a satisfying and fun conclusion to a solid series. I am going to miss Sophie and co (especially Jenna who thank god is alive). I can't wait for the spin-off series (please please be about Sophie's younger cousin. She was awesome) as well as whatever else Hawkins has in store for us. This author is here to stay and I couldn't be happier.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that have read books 1 and 2, witch fans, Percy Jackson fans, Vampire Academy fans, Buffy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five badass witches

No comments:

Post a Comment