Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book Review: Spider's Bite

TITLE: Spider's Bite
Book 1 in the Elemental Assassin series
AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban fantasy
PREMISE: Gin is a assassin who always does the job, no questions asked but then she gets asked to do a job that doesn't smell right from the beginning...
MY REVIEW: I became a big fan of Esteps YA series Mythos Academy last year (and I plan on reading book 3 soon, I promise...it's burning a place on my Kindle as I type) so I thought I'd give her adult series a try. Luckily her adult books are just as enjoyable and entertaining as Mythos Academy was. Granted I didn't love it nearly as much because well...Gin is kind of hard to like, but in a realm full of look alike UF series, this one does stand out and is memorable.
While as I said, Gin is a difficult character to get a handle on, she is still one of the more fascinating ones to me. I definitely get that this woman is a assassin, she doesn't feel like she's just saying "I kill people and am badass" but then proceed to melt instantly at the hands of her love interest and become a big ole softy like so many so-called badass "heartless" women. But she also has the character that similar heroines like Anita "I judge every woman who isn't me" Blake totally lack: namely you like her dispite her flaws because along with the flaws she also has charms. Along with Gin, there's a interesting mystery, a surprising twist at the end, a somewhat turbulant and complicated relationship with the male lead, and it has Estep's charming and readable writing style.
In the case of this series, I give it a thumbs up. I'll definitely be picking up more of these books in the future (after I get caught up on Mythos Academy though). Estep is fast becoming a favorite author in the UF genre. I hope she sticks around.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Mythos Academy, UF fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five badass female assassins

No comments:

Post a Comment