Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Review: Nation

TITLE: Nation
AUTHOR: Terry Pratchett
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Drama, fantasy, adventure
PREMISE: Mau lives alone on a island and then a ship washes ashore...
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest: I adore Terry Pratchett with every fiber of my being. He, Neil Gaiman, JK Rowling, Rick Riordan, Diana Wynne Jones, Tamora Pierce, Meg Cabot, and George R. R. Martin have become that group of authors who I just utterly adore and will probably love anything they come out with as result. So keep in mind that whenever these authors pop up in my blog there will be heavy bias in their favor. The only reason John Green isn't on this list is because I haven't read John Green yet, although I have seen a few of his videos and think he's a pretty awesome guy personality wise.
Nation is no exception to my Terry Pratchett love. It's hilarious, it's got the great social commentary that Pratchett is great at, and it's even sort of realistic with how it handled the Mau/Daphne issue though I'm sure there are many readers who protest how that was handled. If you want romance, this really isn't your book. Pratchett isn't about love triangles though there are some great couples in his books in my opinion.
Basically this is a great example of Pratchett's writing if you're not ready to tackle the behemoth series that is Discworld and is a good way to see if his style of writing is for you. If nothing else, trust that there's a good reason it got award nominations.
WHO SHOULD READ: Terry Pratchett fans, Neil Gaiman fans, Discworld fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five spears

No comments:

Post a Comment