Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Review: Behemoth

TITLE: Behemoth
Book 2 in the Leviathan Trilogy
AUTHOR: Scott Westerfield
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Steampunk, adventure
PREMISE: Alec and Dylan (aka Deryn) continue their journey and adventure through a tricky war.
MY REVIEW: What can I say about this trilogy? Most of the appeal for it admitedly comes from this fascinating world Westerfield has created. I love the illustrations in the book (and yes, I will be buying the artbook coming out for it this summer). It's just plain fun. I definitely rec it for boys too.
Plus it has one of my favorite tropes: a girl dressing up as a boy in the army. Blame Tamora Pierce, I get a kick whenever this idea comes up. I honestly can't wait to read book 3 just because I want to see Alec's oh frak reaction. Going to be good.
Yes, I admit Westerfield does have a bad habit of trumping character development for action, action, action but still. I can't deny the pure fun and solid world-building he does with his books. I defintely get why he has a lot fans. While I'm not a huge Westerfield fan, I definitely rec his stuff. You can do a lot worse. Trust me.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that have read Leviathan, boys, steampunk fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five wth creatures (no seriously, wth? Some of these creatures in there made the ones from Avatar: The Last Airbender look normal)

No comments:

Post a Comment