Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Review: Immortal City

TITLE: Immortal City
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Scott Speer
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Angels, romance
PREMISE: Angels protect people: for a fee. But then the top angel falls for a human...
MY REVIEW: If the last book I reviewed was one big shrug, this book can be summed up with one big sigh. It is everything that has annoyed me about angel books in the past all rolled into one. Judgement of others? Check. Selfless (re: doormat) girl whose life suddenly revolves around her man the minut they meet? Check. Sloppy world building that makes no sense? Double check. Instant romance with no basis? Check.
Basically this book was pretty much everything that is going on in YA right now rolled into one and with even less thought put into it. The only creative idea in here is the angels charging for their services thing but unfortunately that inspired idea is hampered by very sloppy handling of why angels would suddenly do that. See apparently angels were so disgusted by the Civil War they decided we weren't worth protecting and so when capitalist on us and now suddenly they're celebrities. How does that even make sense? Never mind that I'm pretty sure God would have issues if angels suddenly went AWOL. But why would the Civil War be the thing to do it? There were hundreds of incidents before hand that were ten times worse then the Civil War and why would just one war in one country make all the angels in the world decide to jump ship? Because oh yes, Christianity is not just in America. But I guess the author didn't think about that because you know America is the only country that matters so clearly the bad things we do here effect the whole world. Yes, I'm being sarcastic in case it isn't coming through in my typing.
This book isn't uber horrible or anything. It's just very sloppy and frankly more of what has already been done a million times over in YA. I was bored throughout the whole thing.
WHO SHOULD READ: Angel book fans, Fallen fans, Hush Hush fans
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five head shakes

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of an angel book where the angels are famous and I think I may have to check this one out, but your rating has maybe made me put it down my TBR pile a litte, good review!

    Jade at Ink Scratchers

    ReplyDelete