Friday, July 20, 2012

Book Review: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

TITLE: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
Book 2 in the Steampunk Chronicles
AUTHOR: Kady Cross
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy, steampunk,
PREMISE: Finley, Griffon and friends go to America to help out one of their own.
MY REVIEW: Ah, Steampunk Chronicles. Like Mortal Instruments this is one of those series I'm kind of conflicted by. I enjoy it and definitely think others would enjoy it. Certainly I've read worse. It's heavy on the entertainment factor and I will most likely read the next book.
However it's cliche. I mean the fighter ring is a old old old plot device. Almost every supernatural show/series tries to use it at least once. At the top of my head those include: Angel, Kate Daniels series, Justice League animated cartoon (twice), the list goes on. The couples aren't super terrible but they're also kind of super predictable and thus kind of boring. I'm sorry I have little interest in the Finley love triangle. I do however like the friendship aspect that Finley and her group of friends have. There's female friendship! That's not frienimies! Shocker, right? Mostly I keep reading because I find their interaction and care for another interesting and sweet.
So like MI, this series is one of those that I recomend for light reading. I also would use your suspension of disbelief filter a lot for more enjoyment. This is one of those series just to be read for fun.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that read book 1, steampunk fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five awesome victorian dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment