Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

This is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish .

This week: Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

1) Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson-This one is probably on every other person's list and for good reason. It deals with a subject people don't like to talk about: rape and it does it in such a well done way. If I had my way, this would be required for everyone to read in high school.

2) 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher-While I don't think this book is perfect it is fantastic for making you realize just how much your actions can effect someone else. Again, another I sort of wish we made all middle schoolers read (I say middle-school because that is when some of the worst bullying can take place/start).

3) Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson-Yes, another Anderson book. This woman is fabulous when it comes to getting you to see from someone else's point of view.

4) The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney-This is one of the most interesting takes on dealing with things like date rape and school injustices that I've ever read.

5) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-I know The Help is trendy now and that's fine, but I'm sorry, this is my pick for a book to use to talk about racial issues.

6) The Diary of Anne Frank-Have someone who claims the Holocaust didn't happen? Put this in their hands (and if you can take them to Anne Frank's home/one of the internment camp museums. That'll open their eyes).

7) Forever by Judy Blume-Really all Blume's books are great for tackling things like sexuality, grief, friendship etc. Think of her as the old school Sarah Dessen. FYI, Tiger Eyes is coming out as a film this year. FINALLY.

8) The Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsson-Say what you want about the quality of it, this book was great for tackling things like rape, child molestation, sexism, corruption in the government social services etc.

9) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak-Fabulously done book about dealing with grief, war, etc. I can't wait for the movie, even if I'm also really nervous about it. But Geoffrey Rush as Hans makes me hopeful.

10) Going Bovine by Libba Bray-About a boy suffering from Mad Cow Disease and dying. Both hilarious and heart breaking at the same time.

Note: Fault in Our Stars is not on here because I haven't read it yet and I don't believe in putting books on here that I haven't read.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you for sticking to your guns on Fault in Our Stars! And I love that you have one on there about date rape. Super list!!


    I have my Top Ten up on SnifferWalk Books, my blog. Come on by!

    ReplyDelete