Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review: The Obsidian Mirror

TITLE: The Obsidian Mirror
Book 1 in the Obsidian Mirror Trilogy
AUTHOR: Catherine Fisher
PUBLISHED: April 2013
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade/YA (no one seems to agree which it is, I say it can pass for both)
GENRE: Fantasy, Time Travel, Adventure
PREMISE: Jake finally finds a way to confront the man he thinks murdered his father and then finds out the truth is more complicated then he could imagine...
MY REVIEW: I love Catherine Fishers stories. She's always inventive, she keeps the pace going, she has complicated morally gray characters, and her stories are just plain fun.
Like Incarceron, this was imaginative. I don't think it was as well thought out as Incarceron but I know it's a first book so hopefully world-building questions will be answered later in the series. I did have some trouble getting into the characters this time around (Jake was kind of annoying) but as always, they are complex and you never know what they'll do next.
I don't think this one is as good as Incarceron but it's still pretty solid. I definitely look forward to book 2.
WHO SHOULD READ: Incarceron fans, time travel fans, Catherine Fisher fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five magic mirrors

Many thanks to the publisher for the ARC, which I won in a Goodreads giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment