Sunday, May 19, 2013

Book Review: Poison

TITLE: Poison
AUTHOR: Bridget Zinn
PUBLISHED: March 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Adventure
PREMISE: A girl potion maker is on the run from a failed assassination attempt.
MY REVIEW: Usually when you hear people talk about how we've lost a great voice in the community etc. whenever someone dies before their book is published I tend to pay that very little mind because usually...it's hyperbole. Don't get me wrong, I always think it's sad when a author dies before something they worked hard on sees the light of day. But really, we have no way of knowing if that author would have gone on writing great books or if that would have been their one major hit before fading into obscurity. The only time I believe this claim is in the case of Steig Larsson because I think he would have become a great thriller writer. He maybe wouldn't have had stuff that reached the popularity of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo but I bet his stuff would have been one of those things you continuously look forward too and it saddens me that we will never get to read anything else he could have written.
This is also the case with Zinn. Because if this was just her first book, can you imagine all the great stuff she could have written after? No, this book isn't perfect but for a debut book I am pretty impressed with it and really am sad we will never get to see any other books she may have come up with. Because this was really good and it's her first book. Plus this is just plain enjoyable. It's fun, creative, and there whiffs of Diana Wynne Jones/Terry Pratchett in it which pretty much is a guarantee I love it.
This is one of the cases where I will agree: we did lose a author who had the potential to be one of the good YA writers whose books would have been one of those you looked forward too each year.
WHO SHOULD READ: Diana Wynne Jones Fans, Fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five piglets

No comments:

Post a Comment