Thursday, May 9, 2013

Book Review: Web of Lies

TITLE: Web of Lies
Book 2 in the Elemental Assassin series
AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: Gin gets involved in protecting a client when she is attacked in her own restaurant.
MY REVIEW: Estep has basically become one of my favorite authors. Yes, okay, this series is very much business as usual UF. Original, it isn't. But it does what a lot of UF books fail to make me do: care. I actually care about Gin and these characters. I like them instead of wanting to smack them and there's an ongoing storyline that's not totally obvious and interesting.
In the end, that's really all I ask from my UF nowadays, particularly the overcrowded adult UF shelf. So much of it is alike that it's damn near impossible to actually find one that's unique. So for me, the trick is to get me to actually like the characters enough to keep reading past the first book and Estep accomplishes that.
So if you're in the mood for some kick-butt UF that isn't tedious to get through, I rec this series. It's addicting and entertaining. For the record, this would make an awesome TV show. Just putting that out there, Hollywood.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Spider's Bite, UF fans, fans of Women of the Otherworld, Mercy Thompson fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five elemental duals

No comments:

Post a Comment