Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Review: Scarlet

TITLE: Scarlet
Book 2 in the Lunar Chronicles
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
PUBLISHED: February 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Retelling, Dystopian/Sci-Fi
PREMISE: In the sequel to Cinder, we meet Scarlet, whose story ties into Cinder's in a unexpected way...
MY REVIEW: Cinder was one of my top ten books last year and unless ten more fabulous books pop up, I'm thinking Scarlet is going to be on the top ten list as well. This was SUCH a well done sequel. No sophomore slump here at all. Meyer, totally brought it.
In fact, I think she even elevated the series. I loved Cinder but because it stuck mostly to the tale of Cinderella, with a few diversions here and there...it was slightly predictable. This one didn't stick so much to Red Riding Hood, though there definitely were illusions to the tale. Plus, I loved how the author managed to tie in Scarlet with Cinder's story. It's not just a cute way to tell tales in a sci-fi world. This story ties into the last seamlessly and is very much a continuation. It's fabulous.
This series is pretty much becoming one of my favorite retellings in YA. It's now up there with Beauty by Robin McKinley and I love Beauty. That is the book that got me into fairy tale retellings in the first place. So basically, if you loved Cinder, you will love this. If you haven't read the series yet, you should totally check it out. Seriously, other then some minor plot points being obvious my only major complaint is that I have to wait a year in between books.
WHO SHOULD READ: Cinder fans, Retelling fans, Once Upon a Time fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five wolves

No comments:

Post a Comment