Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Book Review: Money Run

TITLE: Money Run
Book 1 in a series
AUTHOR: Jack Heath
PUBLISHED: Re-issued April, 2013, Originally published 2008
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Action/adventure, realistic fiction/contemporary
PREMISE: Two kids get caught up in a rich man's scheme...
MY REVIEW: I wanted to like this one more then I did, if only because I got it on Net Galley and I always feel bad about not liking ARCs I receive. Especially if it's one I requested. It's sort of why I don't go out of my way to request ARCs from book agents because I feel less guilty if it's a book I bought/checked out from the library.  Much safer for me to do it the old-fashioned way and that way I keep libraries in business and give money to authors. Win/win for everyone.
That said, this one...not a fan. It just didn't click for me. Part of it was me, I just couldn't get into it, and part of it was that it is thriller writing style. When you write in the thriller writing style you better make your book engaging and this...was very action heavy and little plot heavy. It doesn't help that the plot was littered with gaping plot holes and the characters weren't all that interesting.
This is fine if you just want a action heavy book that you don't have to concentrate on but if you concentrate on it...the flaws show. Therefore I can only say it didn't suck. But it wasn't great either. Would make a awesome tv movie of the week though.
WHO SHOULD READ: boys, thriller fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five teen thieves

Many thanks to the publisher for the Net Galley. Sorry I didn't like it more.



No comments:

Post a Comment