Friday, May 10, 2013

Ditched Books for April

Here are some books I wound up ditching these past two months and why I ditched them.

TITLE: Blue Diablo
Book 1 in the Corine Solomon series
AUTHOR: Ann Aguirre
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A woman who gets visions from things she touches solves cases.
WHY I DITCHED IT: No originality whatsoever. Literally everything about this book I had seen done before and done in better ways and the characters weren't interesting in the slightest. I got bored fifty pages in. Bad sign. Didn't bother to finish it. And I probably won't bother with the author's other books now because her writing wasn't that great.

TITLE: Notes From Ghost Town
AUTHOR: Kate Ellison
PUBLISHED: February 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Drama
PREMISE: A girl moves to a small town and is visited by the ghost of her first love.
WHY I DITCHED IT: This one is just a case of it's not you, it's me. Probably there's nothing hugely wrong about it. Ellison's books and me just don't jive for some reason.


TITLE: Mila 2.0
Book 1 in a Trilogy
AUTHOR: Debra Driza
PUBLISHED: March 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction (of sorts), Romance
WHY I DITCHED IT: SO many YA cliches where do I begin? Then there's the fact that this story has kind of already been done in the Adoration of Jenna Fox and that idea was so much better and much better written. Then to top it off the main character was whiny, the love interest bland (and it was insta-love on top of that), there was so much stuff that just plain made no sense. It even had the pretty popular girl = shallow mean girl stereotype that I had hoped was dead in the water but apparently not. Yeah, spare me. By one hundred pages I was done.


No comments:

Post a Comment