Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday Rewind: Childhood Favorites

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

It's a free week and the past topic I chose is the first one: Childhood Favorites.
I'll warn you right now, I have a retired English teacher for a grandmother and when I was a kid she would constantly push random books into my hands whenever I visited. Basically, she is responsible for my book habits today, therefore this list will be very random. The only reason stuff like HP isn't on here is because HP came out when I was in high-school so I can't really say that was my childhood favorite as I wasn't a child when I read it the first time (same with LotR). Yes, I know, I'm old.

1) The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi-About a girl who goes on a sea voyage and winds up in the middle of a mutiny and then becomes a sailor. Eleven year old me loved the hell out of this book. I heard a rumor somewhere that there's a movie of this in the works and I really really hope it's true.

2) Little Women by Louisa May Alcott-Well, pretty much loved the whole series, as well as Alcott's lesser known works. But Little Women was where it was at for me as a kid. And yes, I had a crush on Laurie as a kid, though nowadays I find him to be a bit of a whiner and think Jo definitely was wise to go with the sexy German professor instead. What can I say, I was young.

3) Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montegomary-It's Anne Shirley. Need I say more?

4) The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle-Yes, I know, what is a kid doing reading a bittersweet fairytale like this and loving the hell out of it? I found it in my Grandmother's library and didn't know it was technically an adult book. Blame her. All my kid self knew was that it had unicorns in it and this was my unicorns/horses in general phase.

5) Peter Pan by J. M Barrie-It's Peter Pan. Nuff said.

6) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett-Still my favorite coming-of-age tale about find your place and moving on.

7) The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster-What can I say, it had puns. I have a corny sense of humor. It was a match made in heaven.

8) Nancy Drew Series by Carolyn Keene-Nancy Drew is probably directly responsible for my love of the mystery genre. Yes, I also read Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, and The Boxcar Children but Nancy was my idol growing up.

9) Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll-Because it's Alice in Wonderland.

10) Tortall series/Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce-I first discovered these books when I was 12 or so and they are still going strong all these years later and I still adore them. Personally I blame Pierce for my fantasy addiction and I'm also pretty sure this is where my feminist leanings started to develop...

No comments:

Post a Comment