Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Book Review: Katana

TITLE: Katana
AUTHOR: Cole Gibsen
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: adventure/action, paranormal
PREMISE: A girl discovers she is the reincarnation of a kick-but samuarai.
MY REVIEW: This is yet another book that I wanted to like a lot but unfortunately fell short. Part of the trouble is, this is not very original. Look, sorry but this idea has been done before. I can name a anime called Jubei-Chan that uses a similar idea as well as a old Disney Channel movie called Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior (yes, really. It had Brenda Song of Suite Life of Zack and Cody fame in it). This book runs like a combination of those two ideas as well as has several tropes that I've seen a million times before. So sadly, I can't give it much credit for originality.
I do give the author several points though for creating something that is hell of a lot of entertainment. I totally see this becoming a TV movie/mini-series of sorts and doing well. ABCFamily, this book is calling your name. There are some great action scenes in this, a few deux es machinas aside the author is good at setting up the worlds. The dialogue is also nice and snappy and there are some scenes that made me grin. Also while the love interest was kind of boring, at least he was miles ahead of previous jerky male leads so I guess that's something.
Honestly I say this is a good library read. Just not OMG you have to read this immediately. If there is a sequel like I think the author is planning, I may even give it a look.
WHO SHOULD READ: anime fans, action movie fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five reicarnated souls

No comments:

Post a Comment