Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Book Review: When the Sea is Rising Red

TITLE: When the Sea is Rising Red
AUTHOR: Cat Hellisen
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, romance
PREMISE: A girl escapes her priviledged life only to be drawn into a rebellion.
MY REVIEW: I really did want to love this. To be fair to the author much of my grumbling is mostly my issues. When you erase my issues, this book is not bad. The writing is really good, the world-building is phenomenal, and there are interesting things about it. But for some reason it just didn't click with me.
I think part of the issue was I just couldn't get into the main character. I've said several times already but it needs repeating: if I can't get into the main character or any of the side characters then chances are I'm not going to get into the book. This doesn't mean I want extremely likeable people. I mean Twilight pretty much proved that perfect characters are extremely boring. But at least give me some rhyme or reason to their motivations. I just didn't get this girl at ALL. Don't get me started on the insta-romance that led to nowhere in the end. I mean what was the point of that forced love triangle if in the end the guy in question apparently never stood a chance to begin with? Don't promise me hard choices when there really wasn't a hard choice to begin with. I wind up feeling cheated.
While I did like the overall plot of the book with the rebellion, ultimately I was left feeling a bit dissatisfied with this, especially with the ending of the forced love triangle which felt rather unneccessary and just thrown in because the readers would expect it. I do think Hellisen is a very promising author. I just think this book could have stood for some polishing.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fantasy fans, fans of love triangle drama
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five forced love triangles

No comments:

Post a Comment