Friday, June 8, 2012

Book Review: Pretty Crooked

TITLE: Pretty Crooked
Book 1 in a series?
AUTHOR: Elisa Ludwig
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: contemporary, drama
PREMISE: A girl steals from the rich girls in her school in order to give things to the poor girls.
MY REVIEW: I did like this retelling of Robin Hood. Granted I have a few issues with it but for the most part it's a enjoyable romp and I like that it brings up things like race issues, priviledge issues, and even ethic issues.
Is it realistic? Yes, and no. I admit, I still am somewhat confused about the MC's reasoning for the robbery. I mean she could have just bought the girls nice things herself instead of stealing that way she wouldn't have had to rob people. But I guess then there wouldn't be a story so it's probably a moot point to bring up. I do like that at least there were actually consequences for her and that that author made sure to say that what she was doing was wrong (but also that what the bullying rich girls were doing was wrong). She didn't make the situation black and white and it sort of makes you think about things. Also, how nice was it to have a MC who didn't whine about going to a fabulous new school for change?
All in all, I liked what was done here. Kind of shrug at the predictable romance but it could be worse. This makes for a very decent library read. I sort of hope there's more coming because with that ending I have a feeling this is being made into a series, which I'm all for.
WHO SHOULD READ: Robin Hood fans, contemporary fiction fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five Gucci bags

No comments:

Post a Comment