Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Review: The Calling

TITLE: The Calling
Book 2 in the Darkness Rising trilogy
AUTHOR: Kelley Armstrong
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy
PREMISE: Maya and her friends escape and are on the run from a corporation that is responisble for the ruin of their town.
MY REVIEW: Okay I admit to getting a lot of deja vu during this and thinking it was almost similar to Darkest Powers book 2. That is a bit of a problem with this trilogy: it's very similar to Darkest Powers. What makes it work though is different mysteries, different characters, and Armstrong's very solid world-building.
Also three cheers for Maya and these characters. They have personalities, backstories, you can tell they've all grown up together, and I understand where they're all coming from. I don't even mind the ever present love triangle. This one I understand and can see Maya working with both guys. They're all mature about it for the most part and instead on wasting time on mindless drama actually use their time coming up with plans. Let me tell you, this is a rareity in YA, I can count on my hand the number of love triangles that didn't interfere with the characters doing their thing. One of those is Darkest Powers.
All in all if you are familiar with Armstrong's work by now this is more of the same. I look forward to the ending of this trilogy. Also did any of you know that apparently this year's Women of the Otherworld is seriously going to be the last book? Man, I need to catch up.
WHO SHOULD READ: Kelley Armstrong fans, Darkest Powers fans, UF fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five shifters

No comments:

Post a Comment