Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: My Top Ten Beach Reads

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN BEACH READS

Now for me, I tend to like my beach books to be one of these things: a) About summer, or taking place in a place that's warm. b) About a adventure of sorts or c) Has settings that are vactiony like it's in Paris or a sea-side town. That said, here are my picks for my top ten beach reads:

1) The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares.-Takes place during the summer when four friends are being seperated for the first time and mail each other a pair of pants that magically fits them all in order to stay closer. Still has some of the best female friendships in YA that I've read.

2) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-Tells a coming-of-age story about Scout during one of her memorable summers. Forget The Help please, this is my book to open a discussion about race.

3) 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson-If like me, you are stuck at home during the summer you can live vicariously through Ginny's trip to Europe as she follows the request of her dead aunt's letters.

4) Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan-Percy goes to the coolest camp ever: Camp Half-Blood. The first book especially has one of the coolest road trips ever.

5) Heist Society by Ally Carter-Follow Kat and friends on a romp to Paris where they aim to steal a painting from the Louvre.

6) The Millaneum Trilogy by Stieg Larsson-I dare anyone not to get absorbed in these complex mysteries set in Sweden with one of the most fascinating female heroines in recent years. Plus, given how big they are, if you take them to the pool/beach a lot the three books should hold you all summer.

7) Beauty Queens by Libba Bray-One of the most hilarious parody books I've read in awhile that unabashedly comments on our society and it's obsession with consummerism/race issues/feminist issues/LGBT issues and pretty much anything under the sun. The only downside is you may get wierd looks on the beach from LOLing too hard.

8) The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris-The Sookie books are great entertainment and always a fun read. They take place in the south so it makes me think of warm muggy nights and it's camp is its charm.

9) Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake-I don't know about anyone else but these warm nights tend to make me crave spooky paranormal stories and for that Anna totally fits the bill.

10) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.-Great contemporary romance/coming-of-age set in Paris that's really sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment