Thursday, April 22, 2010

Book Review: Evernight


TITLE: Evernight
PART IN SERIES: First in the Evernight series
AUTHOR: Claudia Gray
PUBLISHED: 2008
GENRE: Young adult, series, vampires, romance,
PREMISE: Bianca is not thrilled about going to her new school. But she meets a guy who isn't thrilled with it either and maybe it's not so bad...
MY REVIEW: Note to Stephanie Meyer-THIS is how you do Romeo and Juliet vampire style. I will admit I was very skeptical of this series. In the beginning it starts off with all the usual young adult cliches: misunderstood girl starting at new school, dangerous guy, possible love triangle yadda yadda. While there are a few cliches in this, the author then takes a shift in the middle and puts her own spin on stuff and then you're devouring it and can't wait to read the rest.
I will not give the twist away for those that have not read this series, so I really can't go into plot developement and what not. I will say however, that it's a little bogged down by being too similar to other vampire books (Twilight, House of Night, various others). I hope in the rest of the series Gray starts to make the series more her own. But despite some of the flaws I enjoyed this book and am greatly looking forward to the rest of it. Also, don't kill me Evernight fans but am I the only one who preferred Balthazar over Lucas? Sorry, Lucas is okay don't get me wrong, but I just liked Balthazar more.
WHO SHOULD READ: vampire book fans, Twilight fans, House of Night fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five vampires

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in April
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
First in a Series
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment