Sunday, April 4, 2010

Book Review: Airman


TITLE: Airman
PART IN SERIES: Standalone novel
AUTHOR: Eoin Colfer
PUBLISHED 2008
GENRE: Young adult, adventure
PREMISE: Young Conor is a brilliant scientist who is accused of murder and thrown in jail. His only hope of escape is through means of flight.
MY REVIEW: I don't know why but for some reason I just can't get into Eoin Colfer's books. His writing isn't bad or anything it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I'm not his target audience, I don't know. I just know that I'm not as enamored with his books as other people seem to be. I thought perhaps that maybe it was just Artemis Fowl that I couldn't get into and so decided to give this one a try but it seems that it's the author. Oh well.
One of my issues is that his writing is kind of bland. He does a lot of telling and not showing and I have a thing about that. I do think however, that Airman would make an excellent movie. Preferably with Miyazaki animating it (hint hint, Studio Ghibli). So while this book isn't to my particular taste, I do think others may enjoy it more, particularly teenage boys.
WHO SHOULD READ: Artemis Fowl fans, teenage boys who like adventure books
MY RATING: Three out of five flying machines

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in April
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment