Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book Review: Grave Sight


TITLE: Grave Sight
PART IN SERIES: Book 1 of the Harper Connely series
AUTHOR: Charlaine Harris
GENRE: Adult, mystery, paranormal, series
PUBLISHED: 2005
PREMISE: Harper Connely has a gift (if one can call it that): she cannot only find dead bodies, but she can see how that person died. While it comes in handy with paying the bills, it doesn't neccessarily make her popular as evidenced when she and her brother come to a small town to help a woman find her missing daughter's body.
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest, I didn't really care for this book. I didn't hate it. I actually found the mystery part of it to be great and it really did keep me guessing which is saying something on Harris's part. However, I didn't get into this as much as I got into the Southern Vampire series.
I know, it's not good to compare series and I didn't. But my attachment to the characters in this was not nearly the attachment I have to Sookie. In the Southern Vampire books I read mostly because I'm interested in the characters. I want to find out about what Sookie's up too and hope everything works out for her. While I did emphasize with Harper, I wasn't as nearly as attached to her as I am with Sookie. I mostly kept reading to find out who did it because I seriously had no clue till Harper did. But now that I know...I just don't think I'll be interested in picking up the rest of the books.
So it's not a terrible book...it just wasn't my thing. But if you're in for a paranormal mystery then it's perfect. Harris does a great job setting up a complicated cast of characters and it makes for a great whodunit. Maybe Shakespeare's Landlord will be more my thing then this. So I'll be looking into the Lily Bard series next. If I don't like that, then I'll just stick with Southern Vampires.
WHO SHOULD READ: paranormal mystery fans, Charlaine Harris fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five ghosts

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in April
One Hundred Plus Books
Support Your Local Library
First in a Series

No comments:

Post a Comment