Thursday, December 8, 2016

Book Review: Where Am I Now?

TITLE: Where Am I Now?
AUTHOR: Mara Wilson
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
PUBLISHED: September 13th, 2016
GENRE: Memoirs
PREMISE: Mara Wilson (best known for Matilda and Mrs. Doubtfire) reflects on her childhood years and shares stories from her time growing up as a child star.
MY REVIEW: Show of hands, who watched Matilda as a kid? If you didn't see that, perhaps you saw Mrs. Doubtfire? You probably have seen at least one of those two. Or the Miracle on 34rth Street remake. Mara Wilson has been popping up again, mostly writing wise. I've enjoyed several articles she's written, and her twitter feed is basically the best. So I was pretty pumped to read this when I first heard it was coming.
As far as celebrity memoirs go, this one is pretty typical. There's fun stories, you learn some behind the scenes things you maybe didn't know before, and it's pretty fast-paced. Wilson has a fun writing style and is very honest about things. There are two stand out parts for me: a letter she wrote about Matilda and her relationship with the character and a part that is in fact a blog post she wrote about remembering Robin Williams.
I enjoyed this one a lot. I hope we see more books/any kind of writing from Mara Wilson in the future.
WHO SHOULD READ: Matilda fans, Mara Wilson fans, fans of celebrity memoirs
MY RATING: Four out of Five child stars grown up

No comments:

Post a Comment