Thursday, December 1, 2016

Book Review: Gemina

TITLE: Gemina
Book 2 in the Illuminae Files Trilogy
AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: October 2016
GENRE: Sci-Fi
PREMISE: Hanna is a spaceship captain's daughter when her ship is attacked and is forced to work with Nik, a rather shady guy to take down the group.
MY REVIEW: I got to the Illuminae Files earlier this year and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a bit of a trope-filled series, but it's a fun trope-filled series and the way it's told is great. I'll be honest, I actually like this second book a whole lot more then the first. Not the first was bad, it really wasn't. I just didn't get enamored with anyone there like I did with the characters here.
This book takes place in the same universe as Illuminae but on another spaceship and deals with brand new characters. My favorite of the new ones is Hanna. As in the other book there are a bunch of files, message conversations, and even journal entries to go through. The story flows more for me for some reason. I still have no idea how they'll manage to do a movie of this though (assuming they ever do it. The road to Hollywood is paved with YA movies stuck in development hell ;forever bitter about my Charlotte Doyle movie;).
As a sequel, this book does its work. The ending has me really eager for the next one. Also, I need to check out Jay Kristoff's stuff I think. I've been meaning too for awhile now. Just never got around to it.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Illuminae Files, Across the Universe book series fans, sci-fi fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five hilarious message board conversations

No comments:

Post a Comment