Monday, December 19, 2016

Book Review: Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life

TITLE: Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life
AUTHOR: Ruth Franklin
PUBLISHED: September 27th, 2016
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
GENRE: Biography
PREMISE: A biography on the life of author Shirley Jackson.
MY REVIEW: Okay, confession time: I've actually never read any Shirley Jackson. Yeah yeah, I know. Shame on me. She's on the list, really. I hope to maybe get to her next year. This book motivated me to get to her sooner, rather then later.
Because this was a very interesting look into a very complicated woman. I had to skim parts because the author assumes you've read all or most of her books (this is a fair assumption, I'm not faulting the author for that) and I didn't want to be spoiled for things. But the parts I didn't have to skim were fascinating.
This is thoroughly researched and well organized. Like most biographies, it went into details that weren't terribly necessary, but did give an overall picture of her life. As far as biographies go, this was a really good one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Shirley Jackson fans, biography fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five troubled authors

No comments:

Post a Comment