Friday, December 9, 2016

Book Review: The Amateurs

TITLE: The Amateurs
Book 1 in a new trilogy
AUTHOR: Sara Shepard
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: November 1rst, 2016
GENRE: Mystery
PREMISE: A group of amateur detectives meet up on a website and take on a cold case involving a teenage girl who disappeared.
MY REVIEW: Oh Sara Shepard, why can't I quit you? I'm the first to admit your books are cheesy. You also over do it with the red herrings. Also, can you please stop with the gross normalization of older men hooking up with teenage girls? Honestly, there's so much in your books that irk me. Yet...this is the third series I've tried of yours.
If you've read Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game series, you pretty much are prepared for The Amateurs. It's very much in the same vein. It even comes complete with aggravating characters. But damn if Shepard doesn't know how to spin a good mystery and keep up the suspense to keep you turning the pages.
So I don't know guys. This book has all the same issues PLL and the Lying Game has. Yet, like those series...it's damn addicting. I'm giving this book three stars...but we all know I'm probably going to be here for the next book as well.
WHO SHOULD READ: PLL/The Lying Game fans, mystery fans, Shondaland fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five so ridiculous it's good books

No comments:

Post a Comment