Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

TITLE: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Part of the Harry Potter series
AUTHOR: JK Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
PUBLISHED: July 2016
CATEGORY: Play
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Harry Potter's son deals with his father's legacy as the past comes back to haunt everyone.
MY REVIEW: I'm a little late to the game in reading this one. I wanted to put off reading it because I've found reading a huge book release such as this tends to come with baggage. It's usually best for me to wait a few months where I don't have everyone's opinion rattling in my head and distorting my opinion of it.
My opinion is this: fandom overreacted as fandom tends to do. By the way I think they overreacted on both sides. It is not the crap pile that I've seen a lot of fans claim. Nor is it the brilliant story I've seen die-hards say it is. Honestly...it's just okay. It really helps if you don't look at this as the eighth Harry Potter book. The publishers kicked themselves in the foot by advertising it that way. To me...this is fanfic, plain and simple. I get the feeling Rowling didn't actually write much of it. I'm sure she gave the basis for it, and there are some sparkling moments of dialogue that I can tell she definitely wrote. But I suspect most of it was written by Tiffany and Thorne. It just doesn't have Rowling's typical flare. I especially think this after seeing Fantastic Beasts, which was great, and very clearly written by her.
With that in mind...I don't really consider this an actual part of the Harry Potter series. So I'm not terribly offended by it. It's just something that's there. If you want to read it you totally can, but if you just want to stick the books, you're honestly not missing much really.
WHO SHOULD READ: Harry Potter fans who don't have strong opinions about character's futures
MY RATING: Three out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment