Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review: Siege and Storm

TITLE: Siege and Storm
Book 2 in the Grisha Trilogy
AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy/adventure
PREMISE: Alina and Mal try to move on from the clutches of the Darkling, but he won't let them...
MY REVIEW: Ever have one of those series where you do honestly like it, you get why it's popular, and you do think it deserves recognition and people should read it, but you're just not "OMG best series ever"? That is me and Grisha Trilogy.
I like the Grisha Trilogy. Bardugo's imagination and world-building here is fabulous. I love her writing, and I like where she's taking this story. But I'm just not as super excited about it as I've seen other people get and I have a feeling that makes people think I don't like it. I do. I could do without the love triangle part though, because I think that's the poorest aspect of it (really did we HAVE to bring in another love interest to replace the Darkling? I loved Sturmhond until it became clear he was going to be used as romance bait and that honestly kind of diminished his character for me. He could have been so much more then "B character there to make Mal jealous and for love triangle drama"). But mostly I do think it's a good series.
Actually, I'll go as far as to say I liked this one better then the first. Warning though: evil cliffhanger. You will want the third book like yesterday and then remember that you have to wait a year. Not cool.
WHO SHOULD READ: Shadow and Bone fans, Graceling fans, Tamora Pearce fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five "I have to wait HOW long?" reactions


No comments:

Post a Comment