Monday, August 12, 2013

Book Review: If I Should Die

TITLE: If I Should Die
Book 3 in the Revenants series
AUTHOR: Amy Plum
PUBLISHED: May 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: Kate tries to bring back Vincent in time for war...
MY REVIEW: Honestly, I've never understood the huge love for this series. I like it well enough. It's sort of like Mortal Instruments, where I get entertainment from it, but that's about it. This "best series ever" stuff that I've seen on places like Goodreads, I can't really agree with. To be honest, it's typical YA Urban Fantasy.
Not to say it's bad...like I said, I get entertainment from it and I do get why people like it. The world-building is somewhat interesting. Kate is likable. I love Georgia to death (if ever there was a character that needs her own series...). There's nothing hugely offensive about it. There's just nothing fantastically great about it either. It doesn't push the bar or rock the boat.
Basically this series is as advertised: romantic urban fantasy for the Twilight set. It succeeds (and is thankfully more tolerable then Twilight, otherwise I wouldn't have read past book 1) and is perfectly all right. But that's all it is: all right. The conclusion is also all right. Nothing huge really happened that I wasn't expecting (please, like the author was actually going to seriously kill off Vincent), the usual suspects died, the usual plot devices happened. So it's not a bad series. It just doesn't really push the envelope.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of book 1 and 2, Twihards, Mortal Instruments fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five romances
FOR TRILOGY: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment