Monday, August 12, 2013

Book Review: Rebel Spirits

TITLE: Rebel Spirits
AUTHOR: Lois Ruby
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, Romance
PREMISE: A girl tries to help a spirit of a soldier move on.
MY REVIEW: I love ghost stories. I think I may have mentioned that once or twice...if your book has a ghost in it, chances are, I'm going to pick it up. Regardless of how corny a plot it sounds. Lets face it, this one did sound silly. But it managed to surprise me.
I really liked it. The author was good with the historical stuff. She didn't stereotype the south for once. While I was a bit ho hum about the romance part (it was usual insta love), I have to give the author credit for not taking the easy route and having the ghost magically come to life which is a plot that has been used way too often for my taste in YA. While part of me does understand why that plot device is used (readers tend to get bitchy when their romance doesn't end happily ever after, preferably with marriage and baby) I tend to find it annoying. So I appreciated the ending here.
This is a very old school type of ghost story. It's probably considered slow by today's YA standards but I liked it anyway. I would read this one, only if you're willing to let the possibility of a happily ever after type ending go. Not sure if this is going to be a series or not. The way it ended and the way the author set it up leads me to think that it could be. I would certainly welcome a sequel.
WHO SHOULD READ: ghost story fans, readers okay with a romance not ending happily ever after
MY RATING: Four out of Five hot ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment